Black Bean Tortilla Soup
Black Bean Tortilla Soup is vegan, gluten free and an easy weeknight meal that you can get on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste if needed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chiles (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 5 ounce bag tortilla chips
- 1 cup quinoa or rice (optional)
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- lime wedges for garnish (optional)
Heat a soup pot over high heat. Add a little water or olive oil to the pan. Add the onion, celery and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened and slightly browned. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook until fragrant 30-60 seconds.
Once your spices are all nice and toasty, add 4 cups broth, black beans, tomatoes, corn, and optional green chiles. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let this simmer for about 10 minutes and then stir in the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add additional broth if it seems too thick
Crush some tortilla chips on top and serve a few extra on the side for dipping. Add optional rice or quinoa to the top of each bowl of soup. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges if desired. Enjoy!
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1040mg | Potassium: 865mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 875IU | Vitamin C: 18.7mg | Calcium: 125mg | Iron: 4.8mg