Vegan Morning Glory Muffins
Vegan Morning Glory Muffins are gluten free, oil free and refined sugar free. These healthy muffins are packed full of flavor, are very nutritious and will quickly become a breakfast staple in your home.
Servings: 18 Muffins
- 3 medium (about 1 1/2 cups) carrots shredded
- 3 medium (about 2 cups) apples shredded
- 1 cup (96 grams) ground flax seed
- 1 cup (112 grams) almond flour (sunflower or other seed flours work here too)
- 1 cup (120 grams) oat bran (gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium banana mashed
- 1 cup add-ins such as: diced dried fruit, chopped nuts, seeds or dark chocolate *see note
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 18 standard sized muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
Begin by shredding the apples and carrots. I recommend using a large holed box grater or a food processor if you have one. Shred the carrots and apples and set aside.
In a large bowl add the ground flax seed, almond flour, oat bran, tapioca starch, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Whisk together until thoroughly combined.
Add the carrots, apples, maple syrup, vanilla, banana, and desired add-ins. Use a strong spoon or your hands to thoroughly mix the ingredients together.
Scoop a scant 1/4 cup of batter into the prepared muffin tins. I like to use a 3.5 tablespoon cookie scoop for this, but a measuring cup or spoon works well too. Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the muffin springs back when lightly pressed in the middle. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the muffin tin to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
*Nutrition facts do not include any of the add-ins.
**These muffins freeze well and can put in a freezer-safe container and frozen for up to 2 months.
Calories: 146kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 261mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1720IU | Vitamin C: 2.6mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 1.3mg