This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coconut whipped cream is a non-dairy alternative to whipped cream. It is vegan, gluten-free, creamy, and delicious on any dessert, in your coffee or just by itself on a spoon!
Coconut whipped cream makes me swoon. How could there be a more perfect accompaniment to any dessert? Seriously. Cranberry-apple crisp, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate cake, roasted pears, in your morning coffee...anything. In fact, it goes well with fresh fruit and on top of savory soups too!
Coconut whipped cream is the perfect alternative to traditional whipped cream for those of us that are sensitive to dairy. I am always looking for ways to introduce people to simple non-dairy substitutes that they can use in their daily lives. Therefore, I serve coconut whipped cream parfait-style with fresh fruit and mint on a regular basis to our guests at Rivertown Inn. People are awed. They always want the recipe. But guess what? IT IS SO SIMPLE! No recipe required, and only one ingredient. I don't even sweeten it because coconut has a natural sweetness to it, and you're usually serving it with something already laden with sugar.
How to Make Coconut Whipped Cream
Here's how it goes: Put a can of full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream in your refrigerator overnight (I recommend at least 12 hours). Just before you are ready to serve it: open the can, scoop out the fat on top (leaving the water behind), and put it in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment whip it for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Done!
Tips for Making Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Make sure you use full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream. Lite coconut milk will not work!
- There are some brands of coconut milk that I have found work better than others. Thai Kitchen and Cub Foods' Wild Harvest brands are my favorites, but as long as it's full-fat any brand should work. Some brands don't get quite as fluffy as my pictures here, but they still work and are delicious as a whipped cream substitute.
- The longer you whip the coconut whipped cream, the fluffier it will become. I usually whip mine for 3-5 minutes.
Plop a big scoop of this right on top of your favorite dessert...or do what I do and eat it with a spoon right out of the bowl. Shrug. Either way...ENJOY!
What Should I Serve with Coconut Whipped Cream?
Try this whipped cream with these tasty recipes:
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and tell us how you liked it!
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 14 ounce can full fat coconut milk or coconut cream (see note)
- Place the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight, or at least 12 hours.
- When the coconut milk is thoroughly chilled, open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the fat on top, leaving the water behind.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the coconut cream on high until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. You can also do this with a handheld mixer, but it will take longer, about 8-10 minutes. When it has whipped to your desired consistency stop the mixer, scoop on to your favorite dessert and ENJOY!