Vegan sweet potato pie is rich and creamy, just like the classic Southern version. Cook this eggless, dairy-free dessert in a gluten-free pie crust and serve with a dollop of coconut whipped cream. It's sure to become a holiday favorite that everyone will enjoy.
Looking for something a little different than pumpkin pie to round out your Thanksgiving dinner menu? Sweet potato pie is a fantastic choice, and its classification as a dessert is sure to be a lively topic of conversation.
This sweet potato pie is free of refined sugar, egg, and dairy. So, it's relatively healthy and may have been eaten a time or two at our house as a light breakfast!
It's based on a traditional preparation in Cook's Illustrated, laden with white sugar, eggs, and cream. Don't worry! One bite and you'll be hooked on this delicious vegan version.
Here's what you'll need to make eggless and dairy-free sweet potato pie:
- Sweet Potatoes are cooked and blended until smooth in a food processor. If you already have sweet potato puree, use 3 cups for this pie.
- Tapioca starch sets the filling without using eggs. Cornstarch will work if you don't have access to tapioca starch.
- Maple Syrup is used to sweeten the recipe. Since sweet potatoes are already quite sweet, a relatively small amount provides the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Almond milk - Or other non-dairy milk of choice such as coconut milk.
- Spices - Fresh grated nutmeg and cinnamon are used to lightly spice this pie. Ground ginger may be used instead.
- Pie crust - Make our homemade easy gluten-free pie crust recipe that doesn't require chilling or rolling. Just press it in, and it's ready to bake. Alternatively, use your favorite pie crust or buy one from the store.
Please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions.
Here's how to make vegan sweet potato pie:
- If making your own pie crust, parbake it for 10 minutes before adding the filling and set aside. If you're using a traditional pie crust, you won't need to parbake it first.
- Cook the sweet potatoes. Cube sweet potatoes and add them to a steamer basket. Steam for 10-12 minutes or until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes and remaining ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Process until completely smooth and no lumps of sweet potato remain, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into the prepared pie crust and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the pie is set in the middle, has darkened in color, and looks dry on top. Check the pie after 20 minutes and cover the edges of the crust with tinfoil if it is starting to get too brown.
Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool. Refrigerate until ready to eat. Serve sweet potato pie chilled or at room temperature. It's delicious with a non-dairy whipped topping.
Is Sweet Potato Pie Healthy?
Sweet potatoes are considered a superfood and are high in vitamin A, fiber, and most of the B vitamins.
The crust is made from almonds and adds a dose of protein, Vitamin E, and iron. So, as far as pie goes, this vegan sweet potato pie is pretty darn healthy while still feeling indulgent. So, go ahead and enjoy!
Sweet potatoes, squash, and pumpkin are all abundant in the fall. Any of these can be used in this pie. Just peel and steam squash or pumpkin and use them in lieu of the sweet potato in this recipe.
If you use pumpkin, make a traditional pumpkin pie by omitting the nutmeg and cinnamon and using 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. Taste the filling and add a touch more maple syrup as necessary to reach desired sweetness. Don't add more than a few tablespoons or the pie may not set properly.
Vegan sweet potato pie is the perfect dessert to make ahead of time.
- Refrigerator - Cover and store the pie in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When ready to serve, thaw until at room temperature, slice, and enjoy!
- Freezer - You can also freeze the pie before or after baking it. Bake as instructed, let cool, then wrap well and freeze. If already cooked, then simply defrost in the refrigerator overnight and enjoy the next day.
More Vegan Dessert Recipes
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and tell us how you liked it!
Vegan Sweet Potato Pie (Gluten Free)
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). If using the suggested pie crust recipe, parbake for 10 minutes and set aside. If you’re using a traditional pie crust you won’t have to parbake it.
- While the crust is baking, steam the sweet potatoes. Add sweet potatoes to a steamer basket and steam for 10-12 minutes or until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Transfer the steamed sweet potatoes and remaining ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Process until completely smooth and no lumps of sweet potato remain, about 2-3 minutes. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the prepared pie crust and smooth the top.
- Bake the pie for 40-45 minutes, or until the pie is set in the middle, has darkened in color, and looks dry on top. Check the pie after 20 minutes and cover the edges of the crust with tinfoil if it is starting to get too brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Cover and chill until ready to eat. This pie can be served chilled or at room temperature. I especially like it with coconut whipped cream.
This recipe was originally published on October 20, 2020 and has been updated to improve the reader experience.