This basic tofu scramble has a texture similar to scrambled eggs but it’s completely vegan! Tofu scramble is a plant based breakfast option that you will come back to again and again.
If I’m being honest with myself (and you), the one thing I miss about not being vegan is eggs. I miss them for their simplicity, versatility and how quickly you can get a meal on the table. But, once I discovered tofu scrambles its been hard to look back.
This recipe is for a very basic tofu scramble and is a good starting point if you’ve never made one. Tofu scrambles are very versatile and easy to dress up any way you like. I often saute veggies or use leftover roasted veggies and add them to the scramble. Another favorite is to stuff them into a gluten free tortilla with beans and salsa for breakfast tacos or burritos.
If you have a soy allergy or sensitivity, not to fear! I will be posting a chickpea scramble recipe soon, so everyone can have their morning scrambles!
How to make a basic tofu scramble
Tofu scramble is vegan, oil free and comes together quickly in just one pan. Start by crumbling your tofu into a non-stick or cast iron pan. Just use your hands and crumble it up into scrambled egg sized pieces. There is no need to press the water out of the tofu, as the water in the tofu will help keep the scramble moist. Sprinkle turmeric, garlic powder and salt over the tofu.
Next, heat your pan over medium high heat and stir the spices and the tofu together until the tofu is completely coated and has a hue similar to scrambled eggs. Add a couple tablespoons of plant based milk or water to the pan and cook until heated through. Taste the scramble and season with more salt or garlic powder as desired. Done!
Add veggies to the scramble
I love eating this scramble with all sorts of veggies. Before you add the tofu, add a a few tablespoons of water and a cup of chopped veggies to the pan and cook over medium heat. Add a little more water as necessary to keep the veggies moist and cook until softened. Proceed with the scramble recipe as directed. My favorite veggie combo consists of diced onion, peppers and mushrooms, but play around with whatever veggies your have on hand.
Tips for tofu scramble
- The turmeric is added here to create the color of scrambled eggs and is completely optional. That aside, turmeric also has some anti-inflammatory health benefits and gives this a nutritional boost!
- I highly recommend using black salt, also called kala namak, which has a distinct egg flavor. This is the key to making your tofu scramble taste just like scrambled eggs! If you don’t have black salt, regular salt will work just fine, but I recommend seeking it out sometime in the future. It is magical! I use The Spice Lab brand.
- If the scramble seems dry after adding the milk, add more milk a tablespoon at a time until your desired consistency is reached. The scramble should not be dry and should have a bit of moisture to retain its “eggy” texture.
Scrambled tofu is the perfect vegan scrambled egg substitute. Tofu scramble provides the ideal high protein, low fat plant based breakfast option for all. Enjoy!
Easy Tofu Scramble
- 14 ounces firm tofu*
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional, this is for color)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt** or sea salt
- 2-4 tablespoons unsweetened plant based milk or water
- Heat the pan over medium-high heat and stir the spices and the tofu together until the tofu is completely coated and has a hue similar to scrambled eggs. Add 2 tablespoons of plant based milk or water to the pan and cook until heated through. If the scramble seems dry after adding the milk, add more milk a tablespoon at a time until your desired consistency is reached. The scramble should not be dry and have a bit of moisture to retain its “eggy” texture.
- Taste the scramble and season with more salt or garlic powder as desired. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use and love or think my readers will find useful.