This creamy vegan taco pasta with black beans is an easy and healthy weeknight dinner. Pasta is cooked in enchilada sauce, onion, garlic and peppers and then tossed with yogurt for a delightfully creamy sauce. This one-pot dinner recipe will quickly become your new favorite meal!
We eat a lot of Mexican-inspired food in our house because it is something everyone agrees on. At least once a week we have tacos, enchiladas or potato nachos. Or sometimes all three! So, why not try every which way to eat our favorite kind of food? Like in pasta. Oh, yes!
This easy vegan taco pasta with black beans requires just one pot and less than 30 minutes. How can you not love a recipe like that? This vegan Mexican pasta is gluten free, oil free, nut free, dairy free and vegan. But don't let that scare you away! It is absolutely flavorful and fabulous!
Ingredients and Variations
- Enchilada Sauce - You can use a 10-ounce can of enchilada sauce or make this easy oil free enchilada sauce recipe, which is my preference. You can make this sauce ahead of time and have it ready to go and takes less than ten minutes to whip together.
- Black Beans - This recipe uses approximately two cups of black beans. You can use one 15-ounce can or these instant pot black beans. You could also use a different type of bean such as pinto, kidney or lentils.
- Yogurt - The yogurt is what makes this pasta creamy, but make sure that is is unsweetened. I used Forager Cashew Yogurt which is my favorite brand because it is thick, almost like Greek yogurt.
- Red Bell Pepper - You can use any pepper you would like here, or spice it up and add a jalapeño too!
- Additional Veggies - Feel free to add any other veggies you want to this pasta. Corn, tomatoes or spinach would all be delicious in this vegan taco pasta with black beans.
How to Make Vegan Taco Pasta
This one-pot vegan taco pasta with black beans comes together quickly. Start by sautéing the onion garlic and red bell pepper in a little bit of water until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the uncooked pasta, enchilada sauce and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently to make sure the pasta doesn't stick to the bottom.
Cook the pasta for 8-10 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is tender. Add the black beans during the last couple minutes to heat through. Next, add yogurt to the pasta and stir to thoroughly combine. Top with diced avocado, tomatoes or cilantro if desired.
This recipe is best when eaten right after cooking, but can be reheated or eaten cold for a quick and easy lunch. Depending on the type of noodle you are using, they have the tendency to get mushy if they sit in the sauce longer than a day or two.
One-Pot Creamy Taco Pasta with Black Beans
- ½ onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup enchilada sauce* or one 10 ounce can
- 2 cups vegetable broth*
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta such as penne, ziti, etc; gluten free if necessary
- 2 cups black beans or one 15-ounce can
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy yogurt or sour cream
- 1 avocado diced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped, optional
- 1 tomato diced, optional
- In a large sauce pan or pot, heat a couple tablespoons of water over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper and cook until starting to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the uncooked pasta, enchilada sauce and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently to make sure the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is tender. Add the black beans during the last couple minutes to heat through.
- Add the yogurt to the pasta and stir to thoroughly combine. Top with diced avocado, tomatoes and cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply