This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy oil-free enchilada sauce recipe is packed full of flavor and can be made in less than 10 minutes. Once you make this homemade red enchilada sauce, you will never go back to store-bought sauce again!
I've been making this enchilada sauce for years, and I am always so pleased with its depth of flavor. I recently used this enchilada sauce for sweet potato black bean enchiladas while trying to use up ingredients in my pantry and they were a hit!
This enchilada sauce uses a whole can (yes, a whole can!) of tomato paste, which is one of the reasons I adore this recipe. Usually, I buy a whole can of tomato paste and use just a couple of tablespoons in a recipe.
If I'm on top of things, I'll freeze the rest in ice cube trays. If I'm not on top of things (which is usually), it sits in a container in my fridge until I remember it...and find it growing mold. Oops, So, this recipe ensures no tomato paste waste and tons of rich tomato-ey flavor.
How do I make homemade enchilada sauce?
This easy homemade enchilada sauce is oil-free, gluten-free, vegan, and comes together in less than 10 minutes. This recipe easily doubles or triples so you can make extra and freeze it for later.
Add all ingredients to a blender container and blend until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Try using this instant pot vegetable broth for the broth in this recipe. It's packed full of flavor and is easy to make.
Next, add the contents of the blender to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 2-4 minutes until it starts to thicken and desired consistency is reached. It will continue to thicken the longer you cook it. Season with salt and more spices to taste. Enjoy!
What can I use enchilada sauce for besides enchiladas?
Enchilada sauce is obviously wonderful on enchiladas, but what else can this sauce be used for? Here are a few ideas:
- Use as a sauce on tacos in place of salsa.
- Slather burritos in enchilada sauce.
- Use as a salad dressing for a taco salad with romaine, black beans, tomato, corn and crushed tortillas chips.
- Use it in this creamy one-pot taco pasta recipe.
- Make a Mexican lasagna by layering chickpea flour tortillas, refried beans, vegan mozzarella, diced tomatoes, green chiles, and enchilada sauce.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and tell us how you liked it!
Easy Enchilada Sauce (Oil-free, Vegan)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water*
- ¼ teaspoon salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender container and blend until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the contents of the blender to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 2-4 minutes until it starts to thicken and desired consistency is reached. It will continue thicken the longer you cook it. Season with salt and more spices to taste. Enjoy!